Oral Hygiene in Older Adults: Complications, Assessment, and Care
Pneumonia is the leading cause of mortality among those living in residential nursing care facilities. The primary causes of pneumonia are poor oral conditions and unsafe swallowing coupled with poor health. In this presentation, we’ll examine oral assessment and its tools. We’ll wrap up our discussion on how to implement institutional oral hygiene and staff training programs.
You will be able to:
- describe the oral cavity and its flora and the conditions that alter this environment that may lead to developing pneumonia from aspiration
- use proven oral assessment tools to examine and evaluate the oral structures and environment
- describe and use specific oral hygiene practices for older adults with dysphagia and dementia
- use information and references to create a basic oral care program
- identify patient and staff issues that may deter effective oral hygiene practices
View the Table of Contents [PDF]
Enjoy our online conference from any device—all you need is an Internet connection!
For maximum performance, security, and stability during the conference, download the latest version of your preferred web browser.
To improve your experience, download these free software programs:
12/17/2013 to 5/8/2014