Comprehensive Assessment and Intervention Using the DIR/Floortime Model
The DIR®/Floortime™ model provides a developmental, interdisciplinary framework for constructing a comprehensive assessment and intervention program for children with autism spectrum disorders (infancy–adolescence) and other related neurological and sensory challenges. This program emphasizes the importance of relating, communicating, and thinking for the whole child within the context of human relationships. Video examples, case studies, and parent interviews provide further insight into the model’s application.
You will be able to:
- describe the main components of the DIR®/Floortime™ model, including theory and practice
- describe how the DIR®/Floortime™ model provides insight and strategies for assessing and treating each child’s individual learning needs
- identify and classify the stages of functional emotional development
- examine the relationship between affect, sensory processing, and communication
- discuss the importance of collaboration with the child’s family in all aspects of assessment and intervention